Instant #hygge. 😉
Crockpot Harvest Applesauce
Honestly, is there anything dreamier than the smell of cooking apples with cinnamon and vanilla? This applesauce is so good, you feel like your indulging in something far less healthy. It’s the perfect real food dessert for the whole family.
Author: Wendy McCallum, Simple Balance
- 14 c sliced, cored apples (about 14-16 medium to large apples)
- 1 & ½ tsp pumpkin pie spice*
- ¼ c real maple syrup (optional)
- ½ tsp real vanilla extract
- *If you don’t have pre-mixed pumpkin pie spice, you can make your own by combining: 4 tbsp cinnamon, 4 tsp ground nutmeg, 4 tsp ground ginger & 3 tsp allspice. Store remainder in an airtight jar.
- Peel and cut the apple pieces into chunks then toss into your crockpot (aim for about 14 c. of cut apples).
- Add pumpkin pie spice and maple syrup (it’s optional, depending on the sweetness of the apples you are using, but it does give it a lovely dessert-like flavour).
- Cook on high for 4 to 4.5 hours until apples are very soft, then add vanilla and mash with a potato masher or fork.
- Makes about 6 cups.